Now that Season 8 of SMITE is well underway, a new season of the SMITE Challenger Circuit is not far behind! We’re excited to announce that the SCC will return in 2021, but with a few minor tweaks based on player and fan feedback.
Keep reading for a complete breakdown of the format for this year’s Challenger Circuit, as well as a roadmap for the season and a brief overview of playoff events.
SMITE Challenger Circuit Format
Instead of four shorter phases throughout the season, this year’s SCC will be broken into two phases that last 10 weeks each and culminate in a playoff event. Here’s a general roadmap for the Challenger Circuit season:
- Phase 1 Qualifiers: February 20 – March 13, 2021
- Phase 1: April 8 – June 6, 2021
- Phase 1 Circuit Playoffs: June 25 – 27, 2021
- Mid-Season Relegations: July 10, 2021
- Phase 2: August 5 – October 10, 2021
- Phase 2 Circuit Playoffs: October 22-24, 2021
- SWC Placements: December 2021
Each phase of the Challenger Circuit will use the following format:
- Double round robin format
- Best-of-three (Bo3) matches
- Six teams per region (for a total of 12 teams across NA & EU), with no region locking
- All regular season matches played online
- $50,000 in prizing per region per phase (for a total of $200,000 in prizing across all regions for the season)
- Top two teams in each region will automatically qualify for Circuit Playoffs at the end of each phase
- Third place team will face the top-seeded SOC team in a Wildcard match to determine who goes to playoffs
- Bottom two teams in each region at the end of the phase will be placed in relegations against top SOC teams to determine who enters SCC for Phase 2.
There will be no relegations from SCC to SPL. While we realize that our fans would love to see SPL relegations make a comeback, relegating entire teams in the middle of the season simply isn’t a realistic option, given how long it would take to secure housing and VISA approvals for incoming players.
As outlined in the timeline above, there will SCC Qualifiers hosted at the start of Season 8. More details on how to participate in these qualifiers will be released next week.
SMITE Challenger Circuit Broadcast Schedule
In 2021, the SMITE Challenger Circuit will be broadcast on Thursdays at 1:00 PM ET. Once the SPL kicks off, SMITE Challenger Circuit matches may also be broadcast prior to SPL games, starting at 11:00 AM ET.
As always, you can watch all SCC matches on any of our official channels:
SMITE Challenger Circuit Playoffs
At the end of each Challenger Circuit Phase, we plan to host a playoff LAN for the top teams — provided COVID-19 protocols allow us to safely bring players to the studio for these events. The Circuit Playoffs will be a three-day event that features our top six semi-pro teams:
- SCC NA 1
- SCC EU 1
- SCC NA 2
- SCC EU 2
- SCC NA 3 or SOC NA 1
- SCC EU 3 or SOC EU 1
The #3 SCC team in each region will face off against the #1 SOC team in their region to determine which team will qualify for the Circuit Playoffs. Once all teams are qualified, the format will be as follows:
- Single-elimination bracket
- Best-of-five (Bo5) matches all the way through
- $130,000 prize pool
Further details about the Circuit Playoffs will be announced later in Phase 1.
That’s all the info we have to share for now, but be sure to check out our other announcement for the SMITE Open Circuit as well! And keep an eye out for our SMITE Pro League format announcement later this week. Follow us on Twitter @SmitePro for more updates on the SCC as we get closer to kicking off Season 8!